multiple nagios monitoring that have to agree?

John P. Rouillard rouilj at cs.umb.edu
Thu Mar 30 00:33:07 CEST 2006

In message <f185eb370603291354u2342d341u9391b4acfad8963c at mail.gmail.com>,
"Philip Hallstrom" writes:

>I've read through the docs and distributed, failover, and redundant
>monitoring, but those didn't seem to apply.

Part of them did. Reread the section(s) on sending passive events to
another nagios server.

>I'm wondering if two nagios instances can be set up to monitor the
>same hosts/services and have to agree with each other before sending a
>notification?

One way to do this is to set up the following:

  On nagios 1 service A1 (no notifications)
  On nagios 1 service A2 (passive update from server 2, not polled
	                  from server 1, no notifications)

  On nagios 2 service A2 (no notifications)
  On nagios 2 service A1 (passive update from server 1, not polled
			  from server 2, no notifications)

On both nagios 1 and 2 create service B that does notify (and poll)
that uses check_cluster to require that both be in error condition to
generate an error notification.

Set up the passive services to have a freshness interval just a little
longer than the polling interval on the other server. This way loss of
the remote server is detected and causes the passive service to fail.

Also service B can use another script that you write to require
exactly the same service output etc or perform other correlation
requirements.

Send the passive service via ssh, nsca, carrier pigeon etc.

				-- rouilj
John Rouillard