Nagios / SNMP Traps

Ton Voon ton.voon at altinity.com
Tue Mar 28 20:42:20 CEST 2006

On 28 Mar 2006, at 19:09, Travis wrote:

> Hello all -
>      I have a question regarding SNMP traps in Nagios. From my
> understanding, this can be done differently depending on what you
> need and how things are configured on your network. At this point,
> I am currently using Nagios with Active Service/Host checks only.
> I'm monitoring Internet accessible services such as status of POP/
> SMTP/Web/SSh/DNS etc.. and I'm monitoring local services such as
> partition usage/load average/processes etc.. via the NRPE daemon/
> client application. However, all these checks are using the plugins
> that were provided with the Nagios installation and some of my own
> small scripts.
>
>     Currently on our Cisco routers, we are able to monitor whether
> or not the interface link is up or down, we can also be notified if
> a link load passes a certain threshold, say 80%. Again, these are
> just using the plugins available either from the Nagios
> installation or from Nagios exchange. But what I want to be able to
> do, is configure traps so that Nagios can be notified when other
> things occur such as: power supply failure, input queue reaching a
> certain level, latency if possible and many other things that are
> defined in the default MIB of our Cisco routers.
>
>    So my question is, what is the best way to monitor these things?
> What are all my options? My understanding is that I would have to
> configure the traps on the Cisco device to send event information
> to a central snmptrapd, then that info is passed on to the Nagios
> host which is listening for Passive Checks which will then alert us
> via pager/email etc..
>
>    But my question is, how is all this done? How do I configure the
> Monitored host to send these events to snmptrapd? How do I
> configure the snmptrapd? How do I configure snmptrapd to pass this
> info onto Nagios?  Do I need to use SNMPTT as an event correlator
> or not?  If so, how is that configured? What all has to be defined
> in Nagios for the paging to happen once it sees the passive check
> result in the external command file?
>
>    Anyway, I am open for suggestions. Examples of how things are
> configured would be great. Try to break it down so that I can
> understand what's doing what and how.
>
>    All suggestions / information is greatly appreciated. Even if
> it's just pointing me to the right documentation. Thanks a bunch !!!

Travis,

A single post would have been sufficient :)

We've been implementing SNMP traps and we've written an article on
our experiences on it. It is only a pointer to how things are done,
with a perl module that can help - SNMP::Trapinfo - There is still
integration work that needs to be done, but it is a start.

http://altinity.blogs.com/dotorg/2006/03/lessons_in_snmp.html

Ton

http://www.altinity.com
T: +44 (0)870 787 9243