Difficulty with wildcards in serviceescalation

Andrew Laden Andrew.Laden at tudor.com
Thu Mar 23 18:58:35 CET 2006

 I believe the docs are pretty much correct on this one.

Use_regexp_matching=1 will turn on regex for entries that contain a "*" or
"?" only.

Use_true_regex_matching=1 will turn it on completely, which while it sounds
neat, will cause lots of headaches.

Consider if you have a host named "mile", and another named "smiles".
If you have true_regex on, you will never be able to only reference the host
"mile" as every entry for it will match "smiles". (You would have to use
"^mile$" to be safe)

That's why is recommended to keep it off unless you really know what you are
doing.