oracke monitoring

Evgeny Stepanov enst at rao.elektra.ru
Wed Mar 22 10:01:44 CET 2006

Nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net !

hello, people!

we are using nagios to monitor our network resources very effectively.
nagios is running under FreeBSD. It works as a breeze, thanks
developers.

we also check several Oracle servers among other things.
Couple of days ago i faced the situation when oracle listener was working but database instance was
broken. The problem is that i don't have oracle client installed on
nagios host, so i check only oracle host is alive and TCP port 1521 is
open. Obviously this is not enough for Oracle checking. I don't have
possibility to install oracle client on nagios host due to several
reasons.
So i look towards 2 schemes of monitoring:
1. to find some "light" oracle client (oh, i forgot to say, that
oracle database is v.8, so 10g client doesn't work with it and 9i is
_very_ big and it's installation on FreeBSD requires skills i don't
have :-() it can be done with kylix and dbexpress through core lab
oracle driver (i have such experience on linux), but this approach
requires proprietary stuff i don't have and kylix doesn't work on
FreeBSD. So is there some "light"
oracle client or similar that can be used in shell scripts (like
sqlplus), open (or free at least)?

2. to find any machine with oracle client installed and implement
monitoring through nrpe (or nsclient++ that i use on windows machines)
with shell scripting (or cygwin) or wscript or whatever.

maybe some other way i don't see. Do you guys have any suggestions for my
case?

---
best regards
Evgeny Stepanov