Problems with HTTP-Authorization/Authentication

Rene Fertig me at renux.de
Tue Mar 21 17:26:56 CET 2006

Hello.

I have set up a new server with Nagios 2.0 and Apache 2. Both are running, CGI
and authorization are set up. When I access the web-interface I have been
asked for authentication. I can enter user and password and get access, but
nagios tells me always "Logged in as ?". So I cannot see anything.
In the apache-log-files I can see, that I logged in successfully, but it
seems, that nagios didn't get these information.

Of cause, in cgi.cfg "use_authentication=1" is set, I have put a .htaccess
file into /usr/local/nagios/share with the following content:

AuthName "Nagios Access"
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /usr/local/nagios/etc/htpasswd.users
require valid-user

The file /usr/local/nagios/etc/htpasswd.users has been created with htpasswd2
and the users are in contacts.cfg

If I enter a wrong user and/or password at the login I get an error message
and if I cancel the login I get "Authentication required!" So far everything
works as expected, except the nagios didn't recognize me :-(

I've set up nagios (1.x) more than once, so I think I can handle that...

BTW: the server runs SuSE Linux 10.0 with an apache2 from the distribution,
nagios is compiled by myself from the tarball.

Please, can someone help me to find the problem?

Bye, Rene