switch host definition: no IP

Tedman Eng teng at dataway.com
Fri Mar 17 00:10:50 CET 2006

You can approach monitoring an IP-less unmanaged switch a few ways:

1) Hang a device with and IP address off the switch.  This device's sole
purpose would be to provide reliable monitorable status through the switch
(ie via ping, embedded web server, etc).  Such a device would need to  be
more reliable than the switch, otherwise you're not monitoring the switch
for failure, you're monitoring the IP device for failure.

For suggestions of very small IP devices for this purpose, see this
discussion:
http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/11/07/2111240

2) Monitor link status of some device connected to the switch.  Again, this
device is standing in for the switch, so you're actually monitoring the
connected device, it's ethernet cable, it's ethernet card, and only that one
particular switch port.

3) Create a cluster object (ie. check_cluster) that's tied to numerous hosts
behind the switch.  If all those hosts are out at the same time, then your
cluster object would signal a problem, most likely the switch, but it could
be your whole computer room went down too.

dat=121642
any issue.