switch host definition: no IP

dick at uchicago.edu dick at uchicago.edu
Thu Mar 16 01:19:42 CET 2006

i want some advice on if and how i should add an IP-less switch into my host
definitions. the templates i've found for switches always have an IP associated
with them, like so:

define host{
	use			generic-host
	host_name		switch1
	alias			Switch #1
	address			192.168.1.230
	check_command		check-host-alive
	max_check_attempts	10
	notification_interval	60
	notification_period	24x7
	notification_options	d,u,r
	contact_groups		switch-admins
	}

but my switches do not have an IP associated with them, being setup thusly:

(firewall)---(switch1)----(mailserver)
 10.9.0.1       |          10.9.0.3

           (wifi AP)
            10.9.0.2

in this case, would i want to make a host named switch1 and have it be the
parent of the mailserver and wifi AP machines, or should i omit the switch1 host
and have firewall be the parent of the two machines behind switch1?

i would like to be able to detect if the switch has burned out, not just that
the hosts are both down. perhaps my switch is too crappy?

thx for reading.

cheers,
jake