SNMP, Dell Hardware

Matthew Joyce MJoyce at ccia.unsw.edu.au
Mon Mar 13 02:20:34 CET 2006

Hi All

I'm using Nagios (on Debian Sarge) to monitor our servers and I'm having
difficulties getting chack_snmp to work.

If I use the command `snmpget -v1 -m /root/DELL_10892.mib -c public
myserver powerSupplyStatus.1.1`
I get the result : MIB-Dell-10892::powerSupplyStatus.1.1 = INTEGER:
ok(3)

I'm pretty happy with that, but I need check_snmp to report back to
nagios.

>From the MIB I can see the following...

DellStatus                  ::= INTEGER {
    other(1),               -- the status of the object is not one of
the following:
    unknown(2),             -- the status of the object is unknown
                            --  (not known or monitored)
    ok(3),                  -- the status of the object is ok
    nonCritical(4),         -- the status of the object is warning,
non-critical
    critical(5),            -- the status of the object is critical
(failure)
    nonRecoverable(6)       -- the status of the object is
non-recoverable (dead)
}

So for Nagios I expected the following to work...

`./check_snmp -C public -H myserver -o powerSupplyStatus.1.1 -w 4 -c
5:6`
results : SNMP CRITICAL - *3*

Have I misunderstood how the warning and critical thresholds work ?
Can anyone help ?

I feel I'm close, if I can crack this I'll be set.

thanks

Matthew Joyce
02 9382 0051 | IT Manager | Children's Cancer Institute Australia for
Medical Research