Authentication Issues

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Mar 10 01:31:13 CET 2006

It
> keeps prompting me. I have gone through the documentation over and
over
> and
> did a complete reinstall of RedHat(8), just in case. I have a fresh
new
> install of nagios, but am still recieving the prompt.
> I checked the error file and recieved this:
> [Fri Mar 10 10:06:38 2006] [error] [client 192.168.49.5]
(13)Permission
> denied: Could not open password file:
/usr/local/nagios/etc/htpasswd.users

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Apache can not read this file either due to filesystem permissions on
the file itself or directories above it. The file isn't being accessed
by nagios but rather the user that apache is running as (apache?
nobody?). You will need to allow sufficient permissions for apache to be
able to read the file.

If you do not know how to do that, post back the following -

ls -l /usr/local/nagios/etc/htpasswd.users
ls -l /usr/local | grep nagios
ls -l /usr | grep local
grep ^User /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
grep something /etc/group (where something is the what follows User in
the last grep (i.e. apache or nobody))

--
Marc