Nagios escalations not working

Rafael Bandeira da Costa rafaelc at vegait.com.br
Thu Mar 9 16:25:17 CET 2006

Hugo van der Kooij escreveu:

>Hold on. This one is configured to send notifications every 90 minutes
>(assuming 60 seconds is the default time measurement) But it should only
>trigger after 6 * 90 = 540 minutes (9 hours). But it should stop at 0
>notifications which, I think, is not valid.

Hugo, actually setting last_notification to 0 is valid, and it means
nagios will use this escalation /ad infinitum /(in case there are no
other escalation "overwriting" these settings - in which case nagios
send notifications in the smallest time frame defined), as we can see on
manual
(http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/xodtemplate.html#serviceescalation):

/*last_notification*: This directive is a number that identifies the
//last notification for which this escalation is effective. For
instance, if you set this value to 5, this escalation will not be used
if more than five notifications are sent out for the service. Setting
this value to 0 means to keep using this escalation entry forever (no
matter how many notifications go out)./_/
/_

Pavel Santos escreveu:

> I'm running Nagios 2.0 on Red Hat version 4.  I recently configured
> escalations in some of the services but it is not working.  When
> Nagios sends a notification for a service any issue, it send the alert
> to the main contact group (sysadmins) and the defined escalated group
> at the same time, even though they are not be notified until 60 and 90
> minutes respectively.  Below is a sample of my escalations.cfg file.
> Thanks in advance.

Pavel, I haven't understood your problem: does nagios send notifications
for both groups since the first notification?

And as Hugo has said, you are misinterpretting the docs for escalations:
they are not defined to be sent notifications to system-group after 60
and 90 minutes, they mean they are going to be sent every 60 minutes
from notifications number 3 to 5, and every 90 minutes from the sixth
notification on.

--
Rafael Costa
rafaelc at vegait.com.br