Problems with RPM install

Demetri Mouratis dmourati at cm.math.uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 8 05:40:03 CET 2006

Ross,

Answers inline below.

On Tue, 7 Mar 2006, Minkov, Ross wrote:

> Short Question: Where is the nagios sbin directory if you installed from
> RPM?

Run the rpm query command against the nagios package to find out:

# rpm -ql nagios|grep sbin
/usr/sbin/nagios
/usr/sbin/p1.pl

> Long Story:
> I just installed Nagios 2.0 (stable) on a FC4 system with SElinux
> enabled. I used the fc3 RPMs from http://dag.wieers.com/packages/nagios/
> (dag doesn't have the FC4 RPMs out there yet):
>
> nagios-2.0-2.1.fc3.rf.i386
>
> Also installed nagios-plugins-1.4.1-1.1.fc3.rf.i386 from
> http://dag.wieers.com/packages/nagios-plugins/.

I use the dag repository myself.  Note, however, that Nagios has been
included in the FC distro so you could install the official FC package
using apt-get, yum, or even up2date, e.g.:

# up2date nagios

> Seems to be ok, except I had to --nodep the installation of the plugins
> and add "Ignore { nagios-plugins };" to my apt.conf file (yes, I'm still
> using apt)... The reason was that it was complaining about Perl
> Net-SNMP, but I already had it installed (net-snmp-perl)...
>
> Then I copied my config files from an older server I had (with Nagios
> 1.2), changed a few things to comply with the new syntax and tried to
> get the web interface configured.

This is undoubtedly where your problem is.  Copying the old config files
won't get you very far.  I would suggest running nagios in flight check
mode as follows until you get 0 errors.  You may need to iterate a few
times but this is the best way to troubleshoot a bad config.

# nagios -v /etc/nagios/nagios.cfg