[Solved] Nagios Performance Data shows checks aren't being completed

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Mar 8 00:50:22 CET 2006

> Thanks for posting back to the list. Are you using names or
> IP's for the host address in your definitions? Was that the
> lookup that was affecting your performance? We've always used
> IP's to try to be as independent of other systems as possible
> and I highly recommend it.

We usually use IPs, although with a local DNS it removes our dependency on
external services while retaining the flexibility of hostname.  The DNS will
automatically update the zone files every night from one of our several DNS
servers, to keep the cache fresh.

Some checks, though (such as http retrieves) we always do via hostnames as
this more closely matches a user experience, and allows us to catch DNS
changes that break a web site.  A local DNS helps here as it means again no
dependency on other servers (if we lose communication with ALL the DNS
servers for 4 days (long enough for the zone to expire) then I think someone
would have already noticed!)

Steve