Cant get NRPE working on Solaris9

aleksey zakharov alekseyz at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 7 20:57:03 CET 2006

Steve,

Thanks for your response. I'm also puzzled as to why there's a
/etc/init.d/nrpe, I believe it was installed when I installed binaries:

nagios-plugins-1.3.1_2-sol9-sparc-local

and

nrpe-1.9_5-sol9-sparc-local

For now I ignore /etc/init.d/nrpe and edit /etc/inetd.conf to information
that I found in README as well as to what you have described bellow. I also
edited my path to point to all check_* and edited nrpe.cfg file accordingly,
but I still get

"CHECK_NRPE: Socket timeout after 10 seconds." from Nagios server and

"daemon.error] Could not read request from client, bailing out..." from NRPE
client.

Executing #check_nrpe -H localhost
Does work with the following output.

NRPE v1.9

I've tried this on two Solaris9 boxes with the same results. Perhaps there
is a problem with the built installation files that I'm installing.

Thanks,

Aleksey