multiple notification/escalation definitions

Jeff Williams jeffwilliams05 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 23:27:03 CET 2006

I'm wondering if I'm missing something or thinking about this
incorrectly. I have some hosts that have services and their contact
groups already defined like so:

define service{
        use                           generic-service
        host_name                     vader
        service_description         NTP
        is_volatile                       0
        check_period                  24x7
        retry_check_interval        1
        contact_groups                oncall,ulsysadmins,dba
        notification_interval         5
        notification_period           24x7
        notification_options          w,u,c,r
        check_command              check_ntp
}

I also have an escalation for this service:

define serviceescalation{
        host_name                     vader
        service_description           NTP
        first_notification            2
        last_notification             2
        notification_interval         5
        contact_groups                oncall
}

define serviceescalation{
        host_name                     vader
        service_description           NTP
        first_notification            3
        last_notification             4
        notification_interval         5
        contact_groups                oncall,backup
}
define serviceescalation{
        host_name                    vader
        service_description           NTP
        first_notification            5
        last_notification             0
        notification_interval         0
        contact_groups                oncall,backup
}

What I'm wondering is if I can add another contact for this service
that gets notified after 30 minutes, but only gets notified once.
Ideally I would like to be able to do this as easily as possible and
for an entire group of servers and for multiple services, if possible.
We are migrating from big brother and while big brother is not nearly
as complex and functional as Nagios, it can be done in big brother
with probably one line. Am I missing something though? Can a service
be defined twice? Or can I define it in an escalation that includes
the entire hostgroup that I want? Thanks in advance.

Jeff