SMS Sending Problem

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Mon Mar 6 16:57:09 CET 2006

Now I
> want to configure SMS sending utilities too. I have a DSL connection.
> have downloaded and configured sms_client. But when i tried to test
> sms_client it has thrown some error as follows
>
>                 [root at tony libmodem-1.3]# sms_client 9986490187 'Hello
> Tony'
>                 Dialing SMSC 0640900139...
>                 ERROR: MODEM: stat() Failed
>
>                 Ensure that the device entry '/dev/eth' exists
>                 If you want to use a different device, change the
>                 value of 'MDM_device' in '/etc/sms/sms_modem' to that
> device.
>
>                 Total Elapsed Time: 0 Seconds
>                 [root at tony libmodem-1.3]#
>

>     Since I am in a LAN i have a proxy server. Is there any other
utility
> which can be used to send SMS through DSL lines. Or any way is there
solve
> the problem. Please help me out. Any help would be highly appreciated.

/dev/eth doesn't sound like a modem device. You need to have an analog
modem attached to your computer for sms_client to use to connect to the
POTS (Plain Old Telephone System) network. A DSL modem != analog modem.
As you can see above, it's trying to dial a phone number, not connect to
an IP address. A DSL modem is not sufficient and doesn't provide
connectivity to the POTS network.

As far as alternatives if you can't connect an analog modem to the
computer you might see if your provider has a mail->sms gateway. It's
not as reliable in the event of a network failure of course...

--
Marc