Need help with service failure recheck interval

prosolutions at gmx.net prosolutions at gmx.net
Wed Mar 1 22:02:08 CET 2006

Using nagios 2.0b3 and have the following host and related service
defined:

define host{
 use                            vip.template
 host_name                      ProdSystem
 alias                          Prod
 hostgroups                     Production
 check_command                  check-dummy!0!"See Service Detail for Status Information"
 address                        172.16.1.10
}

define service{
        use                             vip.template
        host_name                       ProdSystem
        service_description             test_client
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    Off_Peak
        max_check_attempts              3
        normal_check_interval           1500
        retry_check_interval            20
        notification_interval           0
        check_command                   test_client!111.111.111.111!9999!35
        }

test_client is a simple script that tests the connectivity of the custom
service that at listening at 172.16.0.50.  It is set to timeout and fail
at 35 seconds.

interval_length is set to 1, therefore normal_check_interval=1500 should
be 1500s=25m and retry_check_interval=20 should be 20s.  However last
night test_client failed and gave initial notification of state CRITICAL
at 00:37:21.  Manually testing by me immediately after receiving this
notification showed that the service was indeed back up therefore I am
almost 100% certain that subsequent test_client checks by nagios would
have succeeded.  However, I did not receive an RECOVERY alert until
01:26:46, which is almost exactly 50 minutes after the initial CRITICAL
alert.

Also, I have another test for a similar service with identical
parameters, and in that case it didn't send a RECOVERY alert until
almost exactly 75 minutes after the CRITICAL alert.