Nagios and Firewall/NAT

Morris, Patrick patrick.morris at hp.com
Thu Jun 29 23:07:56 CEST 2006

> Hello list,
>
> Is there a way nagios can check remote computer that is
> behind a firewall.
> I would like to install nagios on a server that is directly
> accessible from internet.
> and I would like it to check servers that are behind a firewall.
>
> Perhaps there is a client that checks the system, and sends
> out outages to nagios server?

How do you think a client that's down would send an alert to the Nagios
server?

While it's possible to submit passive checks (see the Nagios docs), they
can't do everything.  Maybe you need a distrbuted setup, with a
monitoring server behind the firewall and a publicly-accessible box with
the web interface.  Maybe you don't need to monitor thing like if a host
is up and passive checks from the monitored servers will work for you.
Maybe you need to figure out what you want to monitor and ask more
specific questions.

In any case, it sounds like a good start would be to read the Nagios
docs to get an idea of what you can and can't do with it.