Host Notification Problem

Bill Kintz bkintz at smtp.aed.org
Wed Jun 28 22:27:56 CEST 2006

The problem I am having is that my service notifications are being sent and delivered properly, but host notifications being sent to the exact same contact are never being delivered, even though nagios indicates they were sent.

Here are the pertinent config snippets:

- contacts.cfg:

# 'netops' contact definition
define contact{
        contact_name                    netops
        alias                           netops
        service_notification_period     24x7
        host_notification_period        24x7
        service_notification_options    w,c,r
        host_notification_options       d,r
        service_notification_commands   notify-by-email
        host_notification_commands      host-notify-by-email
        email                           xxx at xxx.xxx
        }

- misccommands.cfg:

# 'host-notify-by-email' command definition
define command{
	command_name	host-notify-by-email
	command_line	/usr/bin/printf "%b" "Date/Time: $LONGDATETIME\nInfo: $HOSTOUTPUT$\n" | /usr/bin/mail -s "$HOSTSTATE$ alert for $HOSTNAME$" $CONTACTEMAIL$
	}

# 'notify-by-email' command definition
define command{
	command_name	notify-by-email
	command_line	/usr/bin/printf "%b" "Date/Time: $LONGDATETIME$\n\nAdditional Info:\n\n$SERVICEOUTPUT$" | /usr/bin/mail -s "$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ alert - $HOSTALIAS$/$SERVICEDESC$ is $SERVICESTATE$ " $CONTACTEMAIL$
	}

- from /var/log/messages:

Jun 28 15:52:38 watchdog-sldc nagios: SERVICE NOTIFICATION: netops;HYPERIONSQL-2KDC;check_nt_cpuload;OK;notify-by-email;CPU Load 81% (5 min average) 84% (15 min average) 84% (30 min average) 52% (60 min average)
Jun 28 15:56:36 watchdog-sldc nagios: HOST NOTIFICATION: netops;NWWEB1-NWDC;DOWN;host-notify-by-email;CRITICAL - Plugin timed out after 10 seconds

(The 15:52 service notification was received. the 15:56 host notification was not, even though nagios clearly believes it was sent. )

Running nagios in non-daemon mode and forcing NWWEB1-NWDC up and down generated the following console message:

Nagios 2.1 starting... (PID=25864)
Send options without primary recipient specified.
Usage: mail [-BFintv~] [-s subject] [-a attachment] [-c cc-addr] [-b bcc-addr] [-r from-addr] [-h hops] [-R reply-addr] to-addr ... [- sendmail-options ...]
       mail [-BeHiInNv~] [-T name] -f [name]
       mail [-BeinNv~] [-u user]

Logic tells me that something is wrong with the host-notify-by-email command setup that is causing mail to be unhappy, but I've been over this about a zillion times and simply can't see the problem, which means I'm probably overlooking something incredibly stupid and simple.

Any insight would be most greatly appreciated.....

* Bill K.