Access group of hosts per user

Robert Snyder rns3 at psu.edu
Sat Jun 24 02:59:11 CEST 2006

On Fri, Jun 23, 2006, David Latorre wrote:

>Hello.
>
>We are starting using Nagios and it looks great but we are wondering if
>there is any way to have users access only to a determined group of
>hosts/services, instead of the whole.

You can configure authorization/authentication, as Marc notes in his post.

Another approach, that I am in the middle of setting up, is the Nagios
sidebar add-on that is outlined on Mark Duling's "Monitoring Network
Services with Nagios and Mac OS X" site. While Mark's site focuses on
getting Nagios working on a Mac, the sidebar tool is cross platform.

If you go to <http://homepage.mac.com/duling/halfdozen/Nagios-Howto-
p2.html> and scroll down about 2/3 of the way, you will find a section
called "Display Hosts by Hostgroup" that include links to the script and
configuration files you will need to make this work.

Here is Mark's description of the add-on:

"If you prefer to display hosts organized by a logical grouping, there
is an add-on to do just that.  The nagside add-on organizes your hosts
by higher level groups called domains in the Nagios sidebar (see this
example <http://chet.crashed.net/nagside.jpg>).  This addition does not
modify the Nagios object group configuration in any way; it is "merely"
for visual elegance and efficiency."

Once the scripts are in place, you edit /opt/local/sbin/nagios/side.pl
to set up the domains and then which domains, which users can see. The
benefit of this approach is that you can separate being a contact for
Host/Service from which hosts you can see. You can also group hosts in
an order that makes sense to you.

As always, your milage may very. I am recovering from some surgery, and
have not had a chance to put this into practice. Perhaps someone on the
list knows a reason not to use this approach.

If you do end up using it, please let me know how it works out for you.

Robert

Robert Snyder
Outreach Technology Services
The Pennsylvania State University