Running redundant nagios on shared storage (eg. NFS)

Filip Sneppe filip.sneppe at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 02:15:43 CEST 2006

Hi,

On 6/19/06, Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp at spiritual-machines.org> wrote:
> The Linux-HA project can do this for you.  Actually i've been referring
> to recently as POSIX-HA.

Yes, I have already worked with Linux-HA and I had planned on using it
for this setup.

> Plus you might consider shared-scsi storage as an alternative to shared
> NFS to eliminate SPOFs

Sure, that would also be possible. But I want to know if there are any
drawbacks wrt starting up one nagios process on one node with the
retention data that was kept up-to-date by the other node.

In other words: if you could put the nagios state data on some storage that
is not a SPOF, would there still be a compelling reason to use some NSCA-like
replication from one Nagios process to the other ?

Regards,
Filip