check_email_loop script modified

Emmanuel Kedaj emmanuel.kedaj at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 16:12:03 CEST 2006

I was just experiencing some strange problems, fixed it and wanted to submit
it to the community.

the script is actually trying to do doing this:
- send mail number 1
- queue mail 1 for delivery on mailserver
- retrive mails from mailbox looking for mail number 0 (previously sent)
- delete old unrecognised mails.
- retain in mind (stat file) mail 1 was sent for next check

problem:
if your mailserver is quick enough, here is what will happen:
- send mail 1
- deliver mail 1 to mailbox directly without queuing
- retrieve mails looking for mail 0 (including mail 1)
- delete mail 1 as if it is not yet recognised as sent
- retain mail 1 was sent (and never find it)

so the solution was that simple:
- retrieve mail 0
- send mail 1
- retain mail 1 was sent for future retrieval

I ve seen in the mailing some other people are experiencing the same, but
did not find someone who posted an updated version of the script.
So here is the updated version that is running well for me.

cheers,

Manu