TR: Problems with the web interface of Nagios

Carl Friend Carl.Friend at mathworks.com
Mon Jun 19 13:19:19 CEST 2006

    Good morning,

> chown nagios:nagios cgi/*
> chmod 777 cgi/*

   Just a heads-up, but 777 is *way* too much permission for those
files. 755, or even 711 if the files are owned by the nagios user,
is vastly safer; you don't want the world to be able to
modify those executable files.

> But there is always the same message.

   Here's a stupid question:  "After putting the proper stanzas into
your httpd.conf file did you restart your Apache server?"

   Just as an FYI, here's the "business end" of my httpd.conf file:

   -----

    ScriptAlias /nagios/cgi-bin/ "/usr/local/nagios/sbin/"

    <Directory "/usr/local/nagios/sbin/">
        AllowOverride AuthConfig
        Options ExecCGI
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Directory>

    Alias /nagios/ "/usr/local/nagios/share/"

    <Directory "/usr/local/apache/htdocs/manual">
        Options Indexes FollowSymlinks MultiViews
        AllowOverride None
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Directory>

    <Directory "/usr/local/nagios/share">
        Options None
        AllowOverride AuthConfig
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Directory>

   -----

   If your web server is returning odd results, you may find some
tantalysing hints in the server logs.

| Carl Richard Friend (UNIX Sysadmin)          | Natick, Massachusetts |
| Minicomputer Collector / Enthusiast          |            01760-2098 |
| http://users.rcn.com/crfriend/museum         |  ICBM: 42:18N 71:21W  |