Running redundant nagios on shared storage (eg. NFS)

Thomas Sluyter nagios at kilala.nl
Mon Jun 19 09:37:23 CEST 2006

Hi :)

Actually, I'll be building a redundant Nagios setup for my current
client. Barring the use of real clustering software I'll make it a
cluster-alike so to speak...

In our setup we'll have three pairs of hosts:
* Internal checkers (through our own networks)
* External checkers (through the Internet)
* Display hosts (running the GUI and so on)

I based my design on the ideas given in "Pro Nagios 2.0" by James
Turnbull, although I did make some changes to his design.

James' ideas regarding each pair:
* Both nodes run Nagios.
* The primary node performs all checks and sends its status messages
through NSCA to the secondary.
* The secondary node does not act upon incoming status messages
(checks, notifcation and actions and such disabled).
* If the primary node fails, the secondary node will automatically
enable the aforementioned actions.
* When the primary node is fixed, the secondary node will
automatically disable itself.

Problems:
* The primary does not know the current state of all monitored
objects when it comes back up again.
* Upon coming back up there will be a certain time window of
uncertainty regarding the status of various objects.

My ideas regarding each pair:
* Both nodes run Nagios.
* The active node performs all checks and sends its status messages
through NSCA to the passive.
* The passive node does not act upon incoming status messages
(checks, notifcation and actions and such disabled).
* If the active node fails, the passive node will automatically
enable the aforementioned actions.
* When the previously active node is fixed, the prev. passive node
will continue running like it was. It will also synchronise its
configuration and status files to the prev. primary. All the status
messages will be sent through NSCA to the other node.

As an added bonus we will use the passive node (under -normal-
running conditions) to test configuration changes before applying
them to the active node. That way we'll prevent ourselves from making
stupid mistakes :) If the new config is found to be 100% correct it
will be synched to the active node.

There are still some bugs in the design I need to iron out before I
can start building it, but I'll get there. Of course, I'd rather do
this the -right- way using something like Sun Cluster ;_;

Cheers!

Thomas