Running redundant nagios on shared storage (eg. NFS)

Filip Sneppe filip.sneppe at gmail.com
Sun Jun 18 17:35:28 CEST 2006

Hi,

I am looking into implementing a redundant monitoring setup using
Nagios. I have read the Nagios documentation, but the solution(s)
presented there have a couple of drawbacks, imho: they require
extra configuration, and/or they do not keep all history information
consistent accross both systems.

Just this week, I came accross a Nagios installation where two
copies of the main nagios process were running from the same
configuration. This setup had been running like this for almost
two months, and the only apparent problem was that two notifications
were sent out for every problem/recovery.

So this got me thinking if this setup would work:

- A highly available NFS backend
- Two Nagios servers with /var/run/nagios mounted on the
  NFS backend.
- configuration information (/etc/nagios) is replicated
  accross both nodes
- only one nagios process running, and monitoring of both
  nagios systems. If one fails (either a complete host
  failure or a failure of the nagios process), the other
  node starts up nagios and continues from the data
  in /var/run/nagios

Is this scenario too good to be true ? Are there any quirks
I am overlooking ? Or is anyone running this setup ?

I'd be really happy if someone could tell me this would actually
work. Alternatively I'm interested to know what kind of
redundant monitoring setup people are running that require
minimal configuration and keep all logging information
centralized.

Thanks in advance!

Filip