Calculation of 95th percentile

Thomas Sluyter nagios at kilala.nl
Thu Jun 15 11:05:22 CEST 2006

On 15 Jun, 2006, at 10:53, abhilash s wrote:

>     I would like to know whether we can configure nagios for finding
> out 95th percentile of bandwidth usage and can get alert message of
> excess bandwidth usage

It depends on the system you're trying to measure the bandwidth on.
If it's a Cisco switch or something like that it shouldn't be much of
a problem. There are check scripts available that measure overall
throughput of the network interfaces through SNMP. These scripts take
two throughput values for Warn and Crit levels and it is quite
trivial to calculate these values yourself. Please keep in mind
though that Ethernet and the likes will -never- make it to a 100%
load and that they usually top off around 60%.

Now, if you're talking about monitoring the bandwidth usage of
servers like a Sun box, then it's a whole different kettle of fish...
Although of course you -could- monitor it's switch port instead :p

Cheers!

Thomas