retention state question

gpoiret at altern.org gpoiret at altern.org
Sun Jun 11 23:56:31 CEST 2006

Hi,

I have trouble with data retention, after change of nagios configuration /
restart Nagios 2.x

Just after restarting, it's an old state of each service/host which
appears on web interface. I guess this behavior impacts also avaibility
stats.
 The documentation  specifies that state is saved just before the
restart.. It's not the case in various installations I've made.

Part of one of my nagios.cfg file :
log_initial_states=1
retain_state_information=1
state_retention_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/retention.dat
retention_update_interval=60
use_retained_program_state=1
use_retained_scheduling_info=1

Part of one of my generic service template :
retain_status_information   1
retain_nonstatus_information        1

The comment which presents the state_retention_file options in nagios.cfg
file deals with a "preserve_state_information" option
"# This file is used only if the preserve_state_information
# variable is set to 1."
What's that ? I have found no other reference to that option in the doc...

To conclude, my 3 questions :
- Have I miss something in my conf files ? (preserve_state_information var ?)
- the use of reload script may be help, rather than the use of restart one.
- > How to correct this bad behavior... Thanks a lot.

Regards,

G POIRET