Inheritance and templating question

Elizabeth Genco egenco at communityconnect.com
Fri Jun 9 17:08:35 CEST 2006

Hello, everyone -

Regarding Nagios 2.0, is there a way to template-ize a bunch of services
in a bundle of sorts and apply that to a host?  We have a lot of service
checks that will be applied to many hosts across the board; instead of
adding each host to each service check (and updating the files N times
for N services every time I add a host), I'd rather define one object
that encompasses many services and just apply *that* to each host
(updating the file in 1 place per host).  Is there a way to do this?

For example, it'd be nice to be able to create something, a
service_bundle (my term) perhaps, that brings together a bunch of
checks; something like this:

define service_bundle {

   name  linux_box

   use_services check_ping,check_ssh,check_stuffs,check_zoinks,etc,etc

}

define service_bundle {

   name  webserver

   use_services check_http,check_whatevs

}

And then:

define host {

   name cc51-91

   use webserver

}

Seems like this should be something I can do; however, I've been reading
the documentation:

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/xodtemplate.html

The list of objects that can be template-ized is there, and the closest
thing is service groups, but can I actually apply these to hosts?  I was
looking at the template tricks docs too, and while there's some good
stuff there (yay, wildcards!), it's not quite what we want.

I'm probably missing something obvious...

Thanks for your time.

Elizabeth Genco

Senior Systems Administrator

Community Connect, Inc