shutting down machines with Nagios

Bill Akins Bill.Akins at emoryhealthcare.org
Fri Jun 9 02:00:48 CEST 2006

Johnston Michael J Contr AFRL/DES <michael.johnston at kirtland.af.mil>
Sent by: nagios-users-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net
06/08/2006 02:34 PM

nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
cc

Subject
[Nagios-users] shutting down machines with Nagios

Does anyone use anything that will go out and shutdown computers in
instances where a room is over heating or too many errors start
occurring?
We've recently had a problem with heat in a server room.  I got
messages
that the room was overheating, but by the time I got there the room
was
really hot and all the machines were running.  I'm looking for
something
that takes steps to save machines if a threshold is ever met or
exceeded.

Thanks for the help!

Hi Michael,

Some things to consider.  What kind of machines?  Do you have the
necessary rights to perform shutdowns?  Are they on telnet enabled power
strips or some other power source you can control?  This seems to be a
bit of a risky idea as a runaway script or malfunctioning sensor could
take out an entire room.  In any case...

You could use an escalation script to start doing shutdowns after a
certain number of alarms.  For *nix machines, simply ssh to the box and
perform a shutdown -h now command.  ssh host.domain.com "shutdown -h
now"

For Windows, if you are using nagios-wsc, you could use the windows
part to shut the monitored windows machines down using the Windows
shutdown /s \\host.domain.com

After a few more alarms, you could start killing power strips or UPS
units in case shutdowns are hung or did not complete fast enough.

Good luck!