host notification issues

Andrew Cruse andrew at profitability.net
Wed Jun 7 20:19:31 CEST 2006

nagios-users-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net wrote:
> hey guys-
>    i have a problem that i wanted to put an entire computer
> lab (24 PCs) under one host in nagios, and have a ping
> command for each machine as a service of the host.  i wrote a
> new ping command that uses the $SERVICEDESC$ variable, and
> then i just use the hostname of the PC for the service description.
>
> anyway, the issue is that when a notification gets sent out,
> i get a notice that the host (lab) is DOWN, as opposed to
> what i want which would be it to say '$SERVICEDESC$ is down'
> or something of the sort.
> should i just disable notifications for the host?
>
> any suggestions would be helpful.  thanks

If you're getting a host down notification then whatever you're using
for the host's check_command is failing.  Try changing that to something
that will return ok even if one of the PC's is down.  (I would think
check_ping on the router or switch that acts as the gateway to the lab
might be a good choice in this case.)

Andrew