basic config (client side)

Pavleck, Jeremy D. Jeremy.Pavleck at capella.edu
Tue Jun 6 23:53:42 CEST 2006

> Ok i got everything working. It turns out the user nagios has
> it's home directory in the /usr/local/nagios and the server
> config files are located in /usr/local/nagios/etc. On the
> client side the config files are located in the /etc/nagios
>
> Can anyone shed any light on how often nagios checks for
> updated config files? And how it got it's name?
>
> -thanks for everyone's help
> -winn johnston

Nagios never checks for updated config files - after you've
updated/added things, you'll either need to kill and restart it or kill
-HUP it's PID to reload the config files.

As for the name, from FOSDEM
(http://www.fosdem.org/2005/index/interviews/interviews_galstad.html)

FOSDEM - Where does the Nagios name come from ?

Ethan Galstad - Development originally started under the name "NetSaint"
in 1999. In 2001 I was contacted by a company (actually, their
attorneys) that claimed ownership of a trademark that was similar to
NetSaint. After working with an attorney on the matter, I decided that
the cost (both in terms of time and money) of defending my use of the
name "NetSaint" was simply not worthwhile. Although we were able to
eventually reach an amicable agreement on my future use of the name
"NetSaint", I felt it was prudent to change the name in order to prevent
any future mishaps. It was at that time that I changed the name to
"Nagios", which is a recursive acronym: N.A.G.I.O.S. = "Nagios Ain't
Gonna Insist On Sainthood". Once the project was renamed, I sought and
received a trademark registration for "Nagios", so as to help avoid
future complications of a similiar nature.