basic config (client side)

Winn Johnston winn_johnston at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 6 23:04:59 CEST 2006

--- Winn Johnston <winn_johnston at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- jeff vier <boinger at tradingtechnologies.com>
> wrote:
>

> > Please always reply to the list so that others may
> > benefit from your
> > experience.
> >
> > On Tue, 2006-06-06 at 09:06 -0700, Winn Johnston
> > wrote:
> > > impossible, it is in production, and works. I
> just
> > > want to know what is the deal with the etc/
> > directory
> > > in the /nagios directory?
> >
> > Who knows?  A "normal" installation puts it where
> > you tell it.
> >
> > How did you install it?  What OS?  What version of
> > Nagios?  What files
> > are in these directories you mentioned?
> >
> > You didn't give near enough information for
> further
> > assistance.
> >
> > --jeff
> >
> > P.S.  Top-posting is poor form.
> >
> > > --- jeff vier <boinger at tradingtechnologies.com>

> Johnston
> the
> greatly,
> > so
> > answer,
> it,
> > and
> > right
> directory
> > is

> > and
> > > >

> Ok some more info.
>
> /etc/nagios # ls
> dependencies.cfg    misccommands.cfg  servers
> disabled            nagios.cfg        services.cfg
> cgi.cfg            escalations.cfg     nrpe.cfg
>
>   suse-default
> checkcommands.cfg  fedora              nrpe.cfg.old
>
>   timeperiods.cfg
> command.cfg        hostgroups.cfg      nsca.cfg
> contactgroups.cfg  hosts.cfg           resource.cfg
> contacts.cfg       minimal.cfg-sample  send_nsca.cfg
>
>  /usr/local/nagios/
> .bash_logout   .emacs  .viminfo  etc      sbin
> .bash_profile  .gtkrc  .zshrc    libexec  share
> .bash_history  .bashrc  .kde    bin       removed
> var
>
> - OS
> SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server 9 (i586)
> VERSION = 9
> PATCHLEVEL = 3

Ok i got everything working. It turns out the user
nagios has it's home directory in the
/usr/local/nagios and the server config files are
located in /usr/local/nagios/etc. On the client side
the config files are located in the /etc/nagios

Can anyone shed any light on how often nagios checks
for updated config files? And how it got it's name?

-thanks for everyone's help
-winn johnston