Host check doesn't wait in-between checks.

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Jun 6 16:51:48 CEST 2006

I've just re-examined the code in checks.c as a sanity check (yummy open
source). It's sequential, not parallel. The section starts at 2024 in
checks.c. The loops (2 depending on initial state) begin with  --

                /* retry the host check as many times as necessary or
allowed... */

for(hst->current_attempt=1;hst->current_attempt<=max_check_attempts;hst-
>current_attempt++){

                        /* check the host */
                        result=run_host_check(hst,check_options);

> What is the point of setting a Host max_check_attempts if Nagios isn't
> going to wait in between checking?

Maybe you don't feel one check is enough to determine host state. Maybe
your host check is such that it does something active the first time and
verifies it the second time. Maybe you just like being really really
sure a host is down. Think flexibility for those cases you don't know
about or implement.

> Not trying to be a pain, I just want to understand.  I was thinking
that
> if I set the max_check_attempts to 3 it should try the check 3 times
> (one at a time) before telling me the host is down.

That is what it's doing.

--
Marc