Host check doesn't wait in-between checks.

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Jun 2 18:43:04 CEST 2006

That is expected and desired behavior. Host checks are done serially,
not in parallel fashion like service checks. While host checks are being
performed all other activities such as service checks and notifications
stop until the state of the host is definitely determined (i.e. in a
HARD state). It is therefore important that the host check completes as
quickly as possible so that nagios can move back into parallel operation
mode.

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/networkreachability.html details
some of the benefits of this.

--