snmp traps

Grzegorz Rumatowski g.rumatowski at gmx.net
Thu Jun 1 09:37:46 CEST 2006

 > Hi

Hello Vinod,

 > but its not mentioned how to define the passive-check-template

like this one is working for me:

define service{
use				generic-service template to use

	host_name			$HOST
	service_description		$SERVICE
	is_volatile			1
	check_period			$PERIOD
	max_check_attempts		1
	normal_check_interval		5
	retry_check_interval		1
	notification_options		c,r,w
	check_command			check_none
	check_freshness                 1
         active_checks_enabled		0
	passive_checks_enabled		1
         process_perf_data  1
	}

But you have to enable passive checks and define external comannd file
(is a pipe)

 > Would appreciate ideas on configuring my monitoring server to receive
 > snmp traps and which documents should i refer.

if you're using NET-SNMP you shall also check and edit your
snmptrapd.conf  like this:

traphandle SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.14828 /root/scripts/snmp/trapping.pl

which says that the  /root/scripts/snmp/trapping.pl is doing something
with traps from the enterprises community

Regards
Grzegorz Rumatowski