Nagios newbie and some questions..

Jorg.Schulz at systeam.se Jorg.Schulz at systeam.se
Thu Jun 1 08:45:54 CEST 2006

Hi Tom

How long did you come with your configuration ?, if you are in the
beginning i recommend to read the included Documents that follows with the
Nagios installation
or http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/
Nagios did not use a database like mysql or others as "buildin". But there
is a database support for mysql or PostgreSQL.

The default method for storing status data, comments, etc. in Nagios is
(and probably will continue to be) in plain old text files. The standard
files used by the default external data routines include the status file,
downtime file, comment file, and the state_retention file. With the
default install, extended host and service information is not stored in
its own file, but in extended host and service information definitions in
the CGI configuration file.

The configuration files are under ../nagios/etc directory
There are *-sample.cfg files under the ../nagios/etc directory - for
hosts,services and so on ----take a look
I can also recommend a very good book for you -- Nagios 2.0 Administration
- (helps me very much in my daily work)

Hope i could help you a little bit....

regards

/jörg

Tom Tran <thoanluutran at yahoo.com>
Sent by: nagios-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
2006-05-31 18:42

nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
cc

Subject
[Nagios-users] Nagios newbie and some questions..

Hello All,

I am very new to Nagios.  I just installed Nagios on my SuSE.... and it
looks fine..
However,  i have some questions i would like to ask..

1.   Nagios does not use database; so, how they gonna store the data?
Config files?
2.   I would like to manage all the hosts in my network...  How can i do
that?  where  can i find the documents?   I did a search and found a lot
of stuffs and I still haven't got the guide i need.    Please help if you
know what links?

Best regards,
Tom Tran

"Max H." <btmanmeh at verizon.net> wrote:
Max H. wrote:
> check_snmp_disk.pl -- disk usage info
> check_snmp_mem.pl -- memory info
> check_snmp_procs.pl -- processes info and so on...

Sorry to reply to myself, but I forgot I didn't get the above plugins
from nagiosexchange. I found them here:

They do have a Solaris section on nagiosexchange, however, along with
tons of other useful items.

Good luck.

Max