getting some flyby errors

Artyom Khmelnitsky nagios at ayksolutions.com
Sun Jul 30 22:14:39 CEST 2006

Any suggestions on how I would go about doing this? I've been testing
 this out for the better part of the day, but still get the following
 error(s) on the flyby test:

Error: Service check command 'check_smtp' specified in service 'SMTP'
 for host 'aykshared' not defined anywhere!

        Checked 7 services.

In the hosts.cfg file, I have the following:

define host{

name Linux

register 0

check_command check-host-alive

max_check_attempts 10

check_period 24x7

notification_interval 240

notification_period 24x7

notification_options d,r,u,f

contact_groups localadmin

#notification_enabled 1

#event_handler_enabled 1

flap_detection_enabled 1

#failure_detection_enabled 1

#process_perf_data 1

retain_status_information 1

retain_nonstatus_information 1

}

define host{

use Linux

host_name aykshared

hostgroups linux_aykshared

alias AYK PING

address 1.1.1.1

}

#define host{

#name Linux-SMTP

#register 0

#check_command check_smtp

#max_check_attempts 10

#check_period 24x7

#notification_interval 240

#notification_period 24x7

#notification_options d,r,u,f

#contact_groups localadmin

#notification_enabled 1

#event_handler_enabled 1

#flap_detection_enabled 1

#failure_detection_enabled 1

#process_perf_data 1

#retain_status_information 1

#retain_nonstatus_information 1

#}

#define host{

#use Linux-SMTP

#host_name aykshared-smtp

#hostgroups linux_aykshared

#alias AYK SMTP

#address mail.server.com

#}

In the services.cfg file I have the following:

define service{

name                                    basic-service

is_volatile                             0

check_period                            24x7

max_check_attempts                      15

normal_check_interval                   5

retry_check_interval                    1

notification_interval                   240

notification_period                     24x7

register                                0

}

define service{

use basic-service

name ping-service

check_command check_ping!100.0,10%!500.0,40%!5

notification_options u,c,r,f

register 0

}

define service{

use ping-service

hostgroup_name linux_aykshared

servicegroups shared

service_description PING

contact_groups localadmin

}

define service{

use basic-service

name smtp-service

check_command check_smtp

notification_options c,r

register 0

}

define service{

use smtp-service

hostgroup_name linux_aykshared

servicegroups shared

service_description SMTP

contact_groups localadmin

}

I commented out the second half for the time being as it didn't
 work, but that is what I have. Also, please note that I do not
 want to define 'aykshared-smtp' as a new user but would like to
 have it all under 'aykshared'. This is mostly for us when we view
 through the web interface, so all the checks are under'aykshared'
 host.

I tried using just host {}, but of course that did not work. When
 I uncomment the above part, I still get the same error, that it
 was not defined.

Thanks for the help!

P.S. Before I get jumped at for not replying to a specific mailing
 list, can someone please tell me how I can do that? Each "reply"
 button seems to be replying directly to the poster and not the