Multi-homed hosts

Miles O'Neal meo at intrinsity.com
Fri Jul 28 18:54:53 CEST 2006

Graham Murray said...

|Is there any way of associating more than 1 IP address to a host, so
|that a check can be made that all interfaces of a multi-homed host are
|accessible?

I create multiple host entries.  Since each IP address
has a name associated with it (it jolly well should!) I
just use that name.

One system has multiple NICs on multiple subnets.
For those, I use the hostname and subnet (foo_sub1
and foo_sub2).  Another host has multiple IP addresses
on one NIC, on the same subnet.  In that case I just
use the name associated with each one.

If you don't have names for each IP for some reason,
just invent a logical name.

=================== Example hosts.cfg entries ==================
# Example with two NICS on two subnets

define host{
	host_name		foo
	alias			foo on sub1 subnet (nagios)
	address			192.168.1.1
	use			linux-system
}

define host{
	host_name		foo.farm
	alias			foo on sub1 subnet (nagios)
	address			192.168.2.1
	use			linux-system
}

# Example with two addresses on same NIC and subnet

define host{
	host_name		web1
	alias			Internal web server for project 1
	address			192.168.1.2
	use			linux-system
}

define host{
	host_name		web2
	alias			Internal web server for project 2
	address			192.168.1.3
	use			linux-system