Why do I get these socket timeouts?!?!

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Jul 25 23:51:23 CEST 2006

 > > CHECK_NRPE: Socket timeout after 10 seconds.

This is the check_nrpe timing out.  There are 3 or 4 timeouts to check
--

1)Service checks have a global timeout in nagios.cfg.  This is usually
about 30sec

Normally, (1) should be the largest number. (3) should always be greater
than (4), and (2) should be greater than (4).  (3) should be larger than
the biggest (4) you have.  This will mean that you get timeout messages
from the plugins rather than from the Nagios server.

In your case, the timeout is coming from (2).  This would normally
indicate that your remote NRPE is having problems, but it may also mean
that your (2) timeout is smaller than your (3) or (4) timeouts.

On our server, (1) is set to 60sec, (2) is usually 20sec, (3) is 19sec
and (4) is 10sec.  This means that we receive more helpful timeout
messages, as we know at which point the problem is.

Steve