cpu usage question on solaris

loren jan wilson loren at uchicago.edu
Wed Jul 26 19:08:13 CEST 2006

I'm running Nagios 2.5 on Solaris 10.

I've noticed that, no matter how many active service checks I add,
cpu usage stays at about 30-40% idle for each of 2 cpus, even though
service check latency skyrockets.
(max_concurrent_checks is definitely set to zero.)

Is this normal? I'd expect it to use all available cpu, so I wonder
whether there's a bottleneck. The usual utilities (vmstat, iostat)
don't show particularly heinous memory or disk usage. The only thing
that looks weird is that there's a very large number of "minor faults"
when I run mpstat.

The compile is pretty standard. I use the embedded perl interpreter.
Perl is multithreaded, as is Nagios. I compiled it with multi-threaded
malloc, as well, all 64-bit gcc binaries.

Thanks in advance,
Loren