Need help with the concept of network objects

Robert Snyder rns3 at psu.edu
Mon Jul 24 16:44:46 CEST 2006

Hi,

I have read through most, if not all, of the 258 pages of the Nagios 2.0
documentation and have been running a Nagios install for about four
months. At this point I am monitoring about 45 hosts and around 100
services. My question is about network objects.

I understand that I explicitly define host and service objects. What I
don't get is how a network object is defined or determined by Nagios. Is
this just determined by creating parent-child relationships, or is there
some other way in which an object is defined as a network object, and
hence it's unavailability is reported as a network outage on the Tac and
network outages screens?

I am sorry if this a silly question, but I am just not getting this
piece of the puzzle.

Thanks in advance.

Robert

Robert Snyder