Sugguestion/Question?

Tom Tran thoanluutran at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 21 16:20:21 CEST 2006

Dear Harper and All,

  Thank you very much for you explanation.   I am totally clear  and I have no problem with that at all.

  However,  don't you think it's better this way.

  Supposed you are the network admin,  sitting in front of huge monitor and managing a status map of your entire network which has about 200 critical servers...  if all the servers are up and running..   So, they are all green.   How do you know which one has a problem like Running out of disk space or exchange process has just stopped?  If you can propagate,  when the exchange process stopped, it goes to critical status..  this child service will propagrate to the parent node... and the network admin will see.. Oh.. something is wrong with node xyz. because it's RED.. so let me drill down that node to see what's going on?

  Best regards,
  Tom Tran,
  PS:  The statements above is CONSTRUCTIVE suggestion.  I am not trying to compare Nagios to any product.    It is just my thought to help us to have a better Nagios if you guys think my suggestion is useful.

Harper Mann <hmann at groundworkopensource.org> wrote:

Hi Tom,
Nagios has two top-level types of check, host checks and service
checks.  Host checks are a check that verifies the host is up.  It's
generally defined as a ping check.  Service checks check services like
disk, cpu, swap, etc. are running on the host.  By default, Nagios
checks a service and if it is in alarm, it runs the host check.  If
the host check fails, Nagios sends host notification and doesn't send
service notification.  If the host is up, it sends the service
notification.

Nagios, only runs the host checks if the service fails.  So if the
disk is bad, it's set critical, but the host check ping still works so
the host is not set down.  This is intentional because if the disk
fails, and the host check fails, disk notifications are suppressed as
well as the other services being checked, and you get one alarm that
the host is down and not one alarm each for each service.   Feature....

Nagios doesn't have propagation like Unicenter.  It has a host check
so it can suppress alarm storms.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
- - Harper