Sugguestion/Question?

Deborah Martin Deborah.Martin at Kognitio.com
Fri Jul 21 09:46:09 CEST 2006

i think my post has gotten mixed up with this one!

-----Original Message-----
From: Tedman Eng [mailto:teng at dataway.com]
Sent: 20 July 2006 22:08
To: 'Tom Tran'; nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] Sugguestion/Question?

First off, please do not REPLY to a message if you're not replying to that
message.  Post a NEW message.

Secondly, Nagios' design separates Hosts from Services.  Nagios does not
actively monitor hosts.  Yes, it checks hosts, but it does not monitor them.
What's the difference?  Think of hosts as points or intersections along a
road, services as being houses along the side of these roads.  Nagios only
monitors houses (services).  If for some reason it cannot reach a house, it
checks to see if there is a problem in the road (host) preventing it from
getting to the house (service), and reports these findings to you.

If you want Nagios to work like CA's product, that can be done as well, but
you'll lose ther ability to determine where along the roadway is the
problem.  To do this, use check_cluster for your check-host-alive.