nrpe: incorrect command line arguments supplied

Max H. btmanmeh at verizon.net
Wed Jul 19 17:44:13 CEST 2006

Denny Schierz wrote:
> hi,
>
> first: i have on all remote hosts the same nrpe version from plugin,
> daemon and with ssl.
>
> NRPE seems to be working, but something went wrong:
>
> Current Load UNKNOWN (No output returned from plugin)
> Root Partition UNKNOWN Incorrect command line arguments supplied
>

> my nagios minimal.cfg:
>
> ## space ##
>

> #mx02 space
>
> define service{
>         use generic-service         ; Name of service template to use
>         host_name                       mx02
>         service_description             Root Partition
>         is_volatile                     0
>         check_period                    24x7
>         max_check_attempts              4
>         normal_check_interval           5
>         retry_check_interval            1
>         contact_groups                  admins
>         notification_options            w,u,c,r
>         notification_interval           960
>         notification_period             24x7
>         check_command check_nrpe!check_disk -w 20 -c 10 -p /dev/sda1
>         }
>

> ## load ##
>
> # MX02
>
> define service{
>         use generic-service     ; Name of service template to use
>         host_name                       mx02
>         service_description             Current Load
>         is_volatile                     0
>         check_period                    24x7
>         max_check_attempts              4
>         normal_check_interval           5
>         retry_check_interval            1
>         contact_groups                  admins
>         notification_options            w,u,c,r
>         notification_interval           960
>         notification_period             24x7
> check_command check_nrpe!check_load -w 15,10,5 -c 30,25,20
>         }
>
> my nrpe config:
>

> command[check_load]=/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_load -w 15,10,5 -c
> 30,25,20
>
> command[check_disk1]=/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_disk -w 20 -c 10
> -p /dev/sda1
>

> The plugins are on both systems the same. What is my mistake?

Get rid of the arguments in your service containers:

check_command check_nrpe!check_load (get rid of -w 15,10,5 -c
)check_command check_nrpe!check_disk (get rid of -w 20 -c 10 -p /dev/sda1)

The arguments you passed will get plugged in on the remote NRPE host
that you are checking. Looks like your NRPE config is good. Try that.

Max