minimal install for remote host

Max H. btmanmeh at verizon.net
Wed Jul 19 15:01:53 CEST 2006

Denny Schierz wrote:
> hi,
>
> i was able to get nagios 2.5 running on a special status host. My goal
> is to check remote hosts from different customers via internet.
> I want to test nrpe, but i saw, that i have to install nagios an every
> remote host. So, what is the best way to do that. I want to check in
> most cases, mysql, mail, imap/pop, amavisd-new and apache2.
>
> Does somebody create already a minimal nagios installation for that,
> without webinterface or such fancy things on the remote host?
>
> Most hosts are Debian based and Gentoo. For Debian i can create *.deb.

You shouldn't need to install Nagios on every host you want to check
with NRPE. NRPE should only require the nagios-plugins and some Perl items.

I'm not much help for Debian or Gentoo, but I use CentOS with RPM
packages. Through RPM I install nagios-nrpe and some of the dependencies
are:

Dependencies Resolved
Transaction Listing:
   Install: nagios-nrpe.i386 0:2.5.1-1.el4.rf - dag

Performing the following to resolve dependencies:
   Install: fping.i386 0:2.4-1.b2.2.el4.rf - dag
   Install: nagios-plugins.i386 0:1.4.2-1.2.el4.rf - dag
   Install: perl-Crypt-DES.i386 0:2.05-3.2.el4.rf - dag
   Install: perl-Digest-HMAC.noarch 0:1.01-13 - base
   Install: perl-Digest-SHA1.i386 0:2.07-5 - base
   Install: perl-Net-SNMP.noarch 0:5.2.0-1.2.el4.rf - dag
   Install: perl-Socket6.i386 0:0.19-1.2.el4.rf - dag

The main Nagios packages isn't required to install NRPE in my case. I
know I'm being a little vague for your OS, but you should only need the
plugins items, and whatever pieces they are dependent on.

Max