issues with nrpe 2.5.1 starting correctly with AIX5.3 using inetd.conf

Alexander Harvey alexh19740110 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 06:08:16 CEST 2006

Mark,

May I ask, when you run your NRPE in daemon mode as you've shown us here,
what happens when you just run:

# ./check_nrpe -H x.x.x.x

on the host, i.e. with no other arguments than the hostname? Could you check
to see if you get an error message sent do daemon.error in your syslog:

Jul 14 16:36:52 cairns daemon:err|error nrpe[532718]: Error: Request packet
had invalid CRC32.
Jul 14 16:36:52 cairns daemon:err|error nrpe[532718]: Client request was
invalid, bailing out...

If NRPE was working, it should respond with:

NRPE V(version number)

Thanks,
Alex