Host down never updates to unreachable?

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 15:49:46 CEST 2006

Hi again

I'm trying to figure out why I'm getting host down reports when in
fact the network is down.
Here's what I _think_ happens.

given  desktopOne has serverOne as a parent, and d,r,f in host
definition  (not u)

- Power failure
- desktopOne goes down
- host down notifications start for desktopOne
- 10 minutes later the UPS runs out on serverOne and it goes down

Now I'm getting host down notifications for both.
In fact, serverOne is down and desktopOne is unreachable.  (after all,
it could be back up!)

Does nagios not revisit existing problems when network outages occur?
Is this a feature request I should submit somewhere?
Or am I out to lunch ? :-)

Comments appreciated

Brian