Directories (servers, routers, ...) in Nagios2.4

Thomas Sluyter nagios at kilala.nl
Tue Jul 18 10:56:46 CEST 2006

On 18 Jul, 2006, at 10:25, Guillaume wrote:

> REMY Julien a écrit :
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like to know how to use the files printers, servers, routers,
>> switches in nagios2.4.
>>
>> I discomment them in the file nagios.cfg.
>>
>> Is it necessary to put a file hosts.cfg in each directory?
>
> The best advise I can give you is to read the documentation as it
> seems
> you don't known Nagios at all.

That would be odd since Remy's been on this mailing list at least as
long as I have.

Remy:
When you tell Nagios to include directories filled with configuration
files, instead of separate config files, it will include -all- files
in these directories. This means that you can choose to either:
A) make one big hosts.cfg file, or
B) split the hosts.cfg file into as many files as you like and then
distribute them among these directories.

But strictly speaking you don't -have- to have these definitions in
each directory, nor do you have to use the default directories. For
all I care you make a bajillion subdirectories, all with a numerical
name. Very organised :p

Cheers!

Thomas