bind nagios server to a certain IP

Giles Coochey GilesC at CarmenMedia.com
Mon Jul 17 17:56:35 CEST 2006

>Thanks Giles.
>
>The host already runs linux heartbeat, and is in an
>active-passive ha cluster running bind, ldap and dhcpd.
>I wanted to add nagios to the mix.  When setting this
>up it is usual to give each app a VIP address, and
>configure that on the active host.
>
>As I have configured nrpe clients to only allow checks
>from one IP - the nrpe checks needs to come from that
>IP address.

Well the short answer is nagios will run it's checks from the Interface
which is most suited to be the route to that host.

It doesn't in itself 'bind' to any address, but simply uses the routing
table on the system for each plug-in's communications.

Nagios isn't a network daemon in itself, and it's the individual
plug-ins, be they perl or compiled C that initiate the network accesses
- perhaps you should check NRPE docs, I don't happen to use that myself,
but do know that the NRPE daemon runs on the client, and locally on the
nagios server, NRPE just runs as a check using the local routing table.

Under Linux, with iptables patches, it *may* be possible to mark packets
coming from a particular process and have them processed in their own ip
routing table. This is a complicated set up however, and I get the
impression that you're looking for an easier solution.