bind nagios server to a certain IP

Giles Coochey GilesC at CarmenMedia.com
Mon Jul 17 17:18:47 CEST 2006

>The host already has a default route.

Hi Greg,

What I mean to say is if you have one IP for cluster communications
(without a default route) and another IP (your roaming IP for nagios
which has the default route). You can implement this with a second
interface card or subinterface and existing interface using dot1q
encapsulation, if your switch infrastructure supports it, for which you
do not assign a default route. You do this on both servers for the
specific reason of checking that nagios is running on both hosts. It's
simply a management interface.

If your passive system(s) detect that the active nagios host is
experiencing problems (which you can do in a number of ways with both
local and remote checks on the secondary IP address) it can take on the
role of the active by reconfiguring the primary interface card with the
IP of the failed device.

Thanks

Giles