A lot of process using nagios distributed monitor

Morris, Patrick patrick.morris at hp.com
Mon Jul 17 17:11:41 CEST 2006

I get this on a couple Nagios installations -- something will happen
with Nagios (usually on config reloads or restarts) that will cause the
Nagios pipe to stop accepting external commands.  This willl cause
anything trying to use it (in my case, the problem is usually nsca) to
hang.  If you get enough of these external processes hung, the box dies.

I've put in several safeguards against it, including limiting the number
of nsca processes xinetd will allow to run, a check through cron that
submits an external check result every minute (with a corresponding
freshness check in Nagios and an event handler that will restart Nagios
if the check doesn't come in), and a script that will 'kill -9' anything
owned by Nagios if a certain number of processes is running.

I've seen this problem over several years of running Nagios, on Solaris,
Debian, Gentoo and Red Hat.  Don't know if it's the same one you're
seeing, but I've never found a better fix for it.